The Power of Music in America

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Stewarts Presentation response

I've always overlooked cities I've passed through, not realizing that these big industrialized towns were once fields of nature. Through Stewart's presentation, I realized that there are pros and cons to the development of big cities. I never really thought of it as a big deal to have urbanization but it actually has a major impact on nature and the population. One of the slides that i saw to be most interesting is the one that talks about how the cost of getting rid of pollution is more expensive than just letting pollution happen. The government decided that hurting our environment is a better way to save money? I understand, from an economic standpoint, why the government would want to spend the money on other things that could further the advancements of technology, but they are failing to realize that if pollution furthers, there will be more expensive problems later on. On a global stand point, the video that Stewart made a great display on how pollution is not only affected out country but others aroudn the world. In the video it stated that 33% of Chinese population breathe in pollution so much that it is equivalent to smoking to packs of cigarettes a day. I found this absolutely disgusting. I never realized how polution can affect people. If we don't take care of the pollution in our own country, we will wing up with illness and greater health problems that could threaten our economy and our population as a whole. I think that Stewart's presentation was very good in that it was very inforamtive and easy to follow and udnerstand. It gave me much better insight on what the pros and cons were for expanding our big cities. His presentation made me think about how life would be different if we continued urbanization and also what it would be like if there never was any urbanization.

0 comments: